AgroInsurance experts have successfully conducted a study on disaster risk finance strategies and solutions available in ASEAN region, and provided an overview for each AMS about their financial management of disaster risks with relevance to the agriculture sector.
Project: Study on Disaster Risk Finan ce Solutions for the Agricultural Sector and Recommendations for ASEAN and ASEAN Member State (AMS)
Duration: 08/2020 – 12/2020
Conduct a study on disaster risk finance strategies and solutions in ASEAN and its member states and their relevance for the agriculture sector with recommendations for ASEAN and ASEAN Member States (AMS) in order to be better equipped with knowledge of necessary requirements and/or enabling conditions for implementation. Results of the study and technical guidance by the consultant further support the preparation, facilitation and documentation of the ASEAN Capacity Building Workshop on Disaster Risk Finance in the Agricultural Sector and provide the necessary background information.
- Overview of different financing instruments available in the ASEAN region for agriculture risk management including agriculture insurance (ex-ante and ex-post; private and public)
- Motivation and experiences on application of agriculture insurance as an instrument of disaster risk finance and its relation to other financing instruments
- Roles and responsibility (cross-sectoral) in disaster risk finance in the agricultural sector with experience and examples from countries, and including regional mandate of ASEAN
- Legal, regulatory and political requirements (“enabling framework”)
- Pros and Cons of these different solutions in disaster risks management for the agriculture sector with experience and examples from countries
- Overview of ongoing initiatives on ASEAN level (i.e. ADRFI program) or among a set of ASEAN countries (i.e. SEADRIF) with a focus on disaster risk financing and their relevance for the agricultural sector
- Overview for each AMS about their financial management of disaster risks with relevance to the agriculture sector, including key characteristics of the different solutions
- Risk financing gaps for the agricultural sector
- Enabling conditions including for example establishment of a disaster risk financing strategy, regulatory support, risk data and other requirements for disaster risks finance and insurance in agricultural sector
- Roles and responsibility (cross-sectoral) of both public and private stakeholders in disaster risk finance in agriculture sector
- Summarize the results in a project report and the 1-page country summaries for each AMS
- Support the project workshop with 2 presentations and facilitation of Q&A during the workshop