Preliminary assessments indicate that the crop damage from Hurricane Matthew in Haiti is expected to be dramatic. Reports say that almost 100 percent of crops were destroyed in Grande-Anse and more than 90 percent in Sud departments. With much of the country relying on subsistence production to meet their food needs, restoring agriculture-and fishery-based livelihoods is critical to avoid dependency on food aid in the coming months.
Since the beginning of 2015, Haiti faces the worst drought in the last 35 years, reports the National Coordination for Food Security (CNSA). The phenomenon "El Niño", which began in early 2015, one of the strongest ever recorded, could persist in 2016 and have an impact on food security in Haiti. This drought has resulted in considerable losses of crops and reduced availability of local food on markets, combined with a dramatic increase prices of these. Furthermore, significant water shortages were reported in the most affected departments (West, Central, South and Southeast).
Experts have always considered the vast oceans as our salvation with respect to food problems and increasing world population, merely because of their immensity. However, open seas (about 90%) are biological deserts. The main active areas (the remaining 10%) are: (1) the estuaries that act as traps for nutrients entering from freshwater flow, (2) upwelling areas where deep, cold water rich in nutrients is brought to the top and (3) waters overlying the continental shelves.
News Publications Documents
Agricultural insurance Analitics Australia Canada Canada crop crop insurance crop loss crop losses damage disease drought farmers flood frost Hail India losses News pest Philippines rain Russia Spain Ukraine USA USA АЧС Господдержка Казахстан Страхование урожая животноводство засуха кукуруза метеообзор озимые потеря урожая почвенная засуха пшеница свиноводство состояние посевов соя страхование субсидии урожай