Ireland - Farmers face planting dilemma due to rainfall and field conditions

02.04.2024 74 views

Amidst continuous rainfall and saturated conditions, Irish potato farmers are grappling with the potential scarcity of the Rooster variety, a staple in Ireland. Meath farmer Ivan Curran, who typically yields 11,000 tonnes of potatoes annually, highlighted the dire situation, noting that 40% of his crop supplies supermarkets while the remaining 60% are processed at the Tayto factory.

With Roosters constituting 70% of potato sales in Ireland, the impact of adverse weather is significant. Curran expressed concerns over the delayed planting season, emphasizing the critical planting window in mid-April to avoid yield losses. The broader European context mirrors Ireland's predicament, with rainfall hindering planting activities, potentially leading to a reliance on more costly imports from Cyprus and Egypt.

Furthermore, the scarcity of Roosters is prompting smaller shops to source these potatoes from supermarkets due to wholesale shortages.

Source - https://www.freshplaza.com

18.04.2024

USA - Vermont farms are still recovering from flooding as they enter the growing season

Hundreds of Vermont farms are still recovering from last July's catastrophic flooding and other extreme weather as they head into this year's growing season. Dog River Farm, in Berlin, Vermont, lost nearly all its produce crops in the July flooding.

18.04.2024

2024 AgroInsurance Conference - Presentations from Partners and Sponsors

Swiss Re (Switzerland), Generali (Serbia), Planet Labs (USA), GAF AG (Germany), Agremo (Serbia), Skyglyph AG (Bulgaria) and K. M. Dastur (UK/India) are the confirmed partners and sponsors of the Conference. The topics from our Sponsors and Partners will cover specifics of underwriting approaches, product design and technology innovations in agriculture insurance, when applying earth observation data facilitating proper informed decisions.

18.04.2024

USA - Banana industry's future in the face of challenges

Bananas, a significant source of potassium, are enveloped in their own biodegradable packaging, making them a convenient and widely consumed fruit in the US. They play a crucial role in the American diet, with their consumption exceeding 20% of the total fresh fruit intake, which has expanded from 92 to 136 pounds per person annually over the past 50 years.

18.04.2024

Latvia - Early April heatwave impacts fruit farming

In Latvia, an early April heatwave has prematurely awakened flora, leading to the blossoming of plums, apricots, cherries, and the greening of apple and pear trees. This abrupt seasonal shift has prompted concerns among fruit farmers as a subsequent drop in temperature and expected frosts threaten plantations.

18.04.2024

South Africa - Uncertainty looms over winter crop planting season

As South Africa navigates through the aftermath of El Niño, its agriculture sector braces for the significant impact it could have on the upcoming winter crop season. As the country approaches the winter planting season, concerns loom over the potential challenges posed by limited rainfall.

18.04.2024

Birds, beetles, bugs could help replace pesticides

Natural predators like birds, beetles and bugs might be an effective alternative t pesticides, keeping crop-devouring pests populations down while boosting crop yields, researchers said Wednesday.

18.04.2024

USA - What California citrus growers may need to recover from a record year for fruit fly

Redlands Daily Facts reports that Sen. Rosilicie Ochoa Bogh, R-Yucaipa, joined other members of the state legislature in writing a letter to Gov. Gavin Newsom last month, requesting $45 million in emergency funding for citrus growers grappling with an invasive fruit fly that has heavily impacted distribution and sales.

18.04.2024

India - Unpredictable weather hits potato farming

In a setback for India's agricultural sector, potato farming has been severely affected by unpredictable weather patterns, leading to a significant drop in production. Bad weather last November impacted potato farming in the nation. It damaged the crops when they were just planted, thus farmers had to plant them again in December.

istanbul escort şişli escort tbilisi escort şişli escort şişli escort maslak escort istanbul escort beşiktaş escort taksim escort izmir escort ümraniye escort mecidiyeköy escort şişli escort taksim escort ümraniye escort kartal escort şirinevler escort maltepe escort istanbul escort ümraniye escort kadıköy escort vip escort mersin escort istanbul escorts ataköy escort avcılar escort beylikdüzü escort okmeydanı escort şişli escort tuzla escort işitme cihazı sex shop sex shop sex shop sex shop sex shop sex shop sex shop sex shop