More than 4,000 farmers applied for agricultural insurance ahead of hurricane season in Puerto Rico.
With over 4,000 insurance applications submitted so far, the Puerto Rico Department of Agriculture, along with the Agricultural Serviced Corporation (CSA in Spanish acronym), continues to urge local farmers to prepare for the upcoming hurricane season before the deadline at the end of May 31.
The agencies reported that as of May 15, they had received 4,137 applications for agricultural insurance for the 2026-2027 policy year. This represents a 7% increase over the last policy year, which received 3,857 applications.
“We have made an effort to strengthen our sales team. We have a team comprised of a large number of agronomists and people with a great deal of experience, and we were able to hire three additional people,” said Javier Lugo Rullán, executive director of the CSA.
Lugo Rullán stated that the agency has informed each farmer that they have submitted valuable insurance applications. He also highlighted that the Department of Agriculture provides subsidies to reduce the cost of premiums, which includes one of 35% during the month of May under the Administration for the Development of Livestock Enterprises (ADEA in Spanish acronym).
"We are the only agency in Puerto Rico that is dedicated to both crop and plantation insurance for our farmers. What we do is protect the investment made by both the department and the farmer," he explained.
Right now, the agency provides protection for certain crops like coffee, plantains, bananas, citrus fruits, mango and other fruits.
When asked by W JOURNAL about what farmers can do when their products are not protected by the agency, both parties stated that the United States Department of Agriculture's Farm Service Agency (FSA) can cover for their losses.
“We recommend that farmers register their farms with the FSA, because if a severe weather event occurs and they are not covered by the corporation, the Farm Service will withhold funds to cover their losses,” said Irving Rodríguez Torres, Secretary of the Department of Agriculture.
The Secretary reported that the increase in insured farmers shows that they are becoming more aware of the importance of protecting their crops during weather events.
“The recent rains and the approach of hurricane season have served as a reminder of the vulnerability our farms face and the need to be prepared,” he said in a statement.
With only a few days left, the Secretary also stated that applications continue to come in, with expectations of exceeding 5,000.
“The goal is to reach 5,600 to 5,700 applications,” the Secretary added.
The insurance applications will close on May 31.
Source - https://www.wjournalpr.com
